- I think Henry is brave for moving into a house that has been vacant for seven years. I would be worried about the spiders and ghosts.
- He was happy in the house even thought everyone was in awe.
- People were judging him and whispering about him.
- I wouldn't care if people judged me if I had money and family and was happy. Henry did the right thing by ignoring everyone who criticized him and the house.
- Again and again signpost- they keep saying the "place is a disgrace". This is because they don't want to look trashy so they keep trying to call to his attention that he needs to fix his house.
- It is not fair that his neighbors are not giving him a chance because his house is ugly. They haven't even given him a chance.
- Henry just walked away from his neighbors and politely excused himself when they asked him to fix up his house.
- They fined him threatened to put him in jail and they sent him letters complaining. If I were Henry I would be very annoyed.
- Despite all the complaints Henry just kept doing his own thing. I am proud of Henry for standing up to the peer pressure.
- I am impressed by Henry because he is doing a great job I would be scared if people were threatening me.
- Contrast and contradiction signpost - I think the characters are changing because they are being nice now.
- Words of the Wiser signpost - The mayor told the neighbors to be nicer to Henry and maybe he will come around.
- Henry is rude he refused the pie two ladies baked for him and he refused help shoveling his snow.
- Henry never wants to be neat and the same he wants to be how he really is messy and different. I think Henry just wants to be excepted.
- Henry packed his bags and left because he was so feed up with the neighbors.
- The neighbors are missing Henry and wondering if he will come back. I would miss him to if I were the neighbors. I would also feel guilty for driving him away.
- They are realizing after Henry is gone that they were trying to make him like them.
- Henry was actually missing his neighbors so he wrote to the mayor and asked if he could come back and said he would do the things they asked but had some requests.