- Must be hard times because their house is run down. It looks like a long time ago. It said a poor village. Maybe in a different country.
- Jessie lived with Grandma because parents died when she was a baby. She tries on Mom's wedding band on.
- Jessie went to the rabbi to learn. Only boys went but grandma got Jessie to go.
- Grandma and Jessie want to teach each other.
- The Rabbi has a ticket to America. He picks Jessie to go.
- I'd be scared to travel to America. Jessie seems like 12 or 13.
- Grandmother Prepared Jessie for the trip. It was raining on the day to leave.
- I wonder why Jessie left the wedding band with grandmother.
- Words of the Wiser: Grandmother told Jessie that she would have a second chance in America.
- Jessie missed Grandmother and cried during through the storm.
- Thank goodness Grandma taught her all this important stuff.
- Lou and Jessie meet. They talk and laugh together.
- On a fall day they passed the Statue of Liberty. She misses her grandma.
- Jessie is 13 and meets cousin Kay.
- Jessie Got 3 coins for her lace.
- Jessie doesn't speak English. But we don't know what language she speaks.
- She is 16 now I think she will marry Lou.
- She had made a beautiful wedding dress and I think she will were a dress like that for her wedding.
- Jessie wrote a letter to Grandmother that she would like Lou.
- She filled up her jar and sent a ticket to grandmother. Grandmother sent a letter back to Jessie.
- Grandma brought Jessie's Mom's wedding ring for Jessie.
- The reason Jessie said "soon" to Lou I think is because she wanted Grandmother there.