- Imagine if the world were a village of 100 people
- In 2012 the population was 7 billion, 50 million
- In the village there are 60 people from Asia, 15 Africa, 11 people from Europe, 8 people from South America, 5 people from Canada and United States, and 1 person Oceania
- Many people speak different ways. Over half of the people in the world speak 8 languages. 21 speak Chinese, 9 speak Hindi, 9 speak English, 7 speak Spanish, 4 speak Bengali, 4 speak Arabic, 3 speak Portuguese, and 3 speak Russian.
- 9 people are under the age 5, 10 are between 5-9, 18 are between 10 and 19, 17 are between 20-29, 15 are between 30-39, 12 are between 40-49, 9 are between 50-59, 6 are between 60-69, 3 are between 70-79, and only 1 is over 79.
- Many people have religions. 33 people are Christians, 22 are Muslims, 15 are non-religious or atheist, 14 are Hindus, 9 practice shamanism, animism and other folk religions, 5 are Buddhists, 2 belong to other global religions such as Judaism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Sikhism, Jainism or the Baha'i faith.
- 1 person used to have no religion, but 15 people don't!
- Many people eat different foods. We use animals to produce food. 31 sheep and goat, 23 cows, bulls and oxen, 15 pigs, 3 camels, 2 horses, and 700 chickens-yes, there are seven times as many chicken as people in the global village. Not everyone gets food though. 30 people in the village do not have a reliable source of food and are hungry some or all or all of the time. 17 people are severely undernourished and are always hungry. 47 of the people in the village do not have food security-they cannot always be sure they will have enough to eat.
- 87 people have access to safe water. But, 13 do not. Mostly women and girls gather water.
- 62 people have a access to have a place to put waste and garbage. However, 38 do not, which can cause diseases.
- 68 people breath clean air. 32 people do not get good, clean which can cause diseases for people.
- Many kids get to go to school. However, some do not and more males get to read than females. 36 kids are school-age kids, but only 30 kids go to school. There is 1 teacher for these students. 6 kids who could be in school have to work instead. 3 do businesses and other jobs. The other 3 kids are child laborers. 63 adults in the village could have jobs, but only 52 do.
- If all the money was divid equally, everyone would get 10,300 dollar. Out of the 100 people, 10 have 85 percent of the world's wealth. The poorest 10 people each had less than 2 dollars a day. They make 600 a year. The people have a lot of possessions. There are 50 radios, 45 television, 103 telephone (more than 86 are cellphones), and 28 computers. There are also 2 trucks, 10 automobile, and 20 bicycles.
- Many house have electricity. 76 people have electricity. However 24 do not. Out of the 76 they only use for night. Long ago most of the energy source was wood. 73 percent of the electricity comes from fossil fuels, 17 from nuclear power, and 10 from renewable sources, such as wind and energy.
- In 1850, an average baby was to live to be 38. One big problem is malaria. 6% of our world gets it. About 80 people have received vaccinations, which have helped.
- In 1000 B.C.E, 1 person lived. In 2012, 100 people lived in the village. In 2150, there 250 people in the village living. That is the maximum number.
Some of my GLOWS so far this year in writing include:
Some of my GROWS so far this year in writing include:
Notes on our conversation/Things I learned:
My contribution to the discussion:
I ask a lot questions and even answered some! Here are some questions I've asked:
My Student Led Conference Prep slideshow is about my goals, my learning, and some of the amazing actives we did. It shows how I developed and learned new skills in Passion Time, Lit Circles, and being the Evaluator for my job. The slideshow even explain the Marble Theory. In the first trimester I feel that I have grown to reach new abilities and now I can do them as a normal routine in class. In my slideshow, you can see how I have started to contribute to a Student Led classroom environment. When I showed my parents my presentation I showed each slide and explained how each piece works in the classroom. I also showed them my goals, my jobs, and my favorite work examples. My parents were very proud of my hard work and growth mindset. They also told me to keep working on my focus because the next trimester will be even more challenging!
Here are all the kind gestures:
My brother made me feel better when the weekend was ending. I was feeling sad because I didn't get to hangout with him. He had homework and had to practice guitar and right when started thinking of things to do we had to go to a family birthday party. I was sad I couldn't see him and he made me feel better by saying, "I see you a bunch on Thanksgiving break, don't worry." I started feeling better and had a fun time at the party.
The Constellation Cephus
The Puppy had an amazing owner that always took care of him. The owner was the famous hero, Hercules and was sent on a mission to defeat a great force of evil, the evil cat. But, Hercules was too busy and The Puppy had to step up. The battle was hard, but the gods gave The Puppy a spray bottle for being such a loyal dog. With the spray bottle The Puppy won! He became more famous and was known as a new constellation called The Puppy.