- Review Lesson 6 with the class:
- Describe how the shadows changed over time throughout the day.
- What caused these changes?
- Show students the materials for today's activity (flashlight, their drawing from Lesson 6, their graph from Lesson 6, AA battery, clipboard, laptop/iPad, Shadow Data handout). (Borrow flashlights from other teachers so you have one per student.) (The flashlights are kind of cheap - they need to be squeezed around the middle to work.)
- What do you think we'll be doing with these materials today?
- How can we model the positions of the sun throughout the day from our previous lesson?
- How can we explain what causes shadows to change length and position using these materials?
- Clarify what the materials are for...
- What does the flashlight represent?
- What is modeled when we move the flashlight?
- What is modeled when we shine the flashlight on the AA battery?
Directions for today's activity:
Sample Student Video - Do not watch unless you want to see what students should be creating.