4. I had the challenge of trying to keep us on topic, but also making sure that we had fun. I had to get through the story and activities without doing it like I was checking things off a checklist, and keeping it going smoothly from thing to thing. I didn't want Kate to think I was all business. I tried to flow through the river of things to get done without too many waterfalls. I think that I did this pretty well, and I'll keep on improving too.
6. I do think that Kate enjoyed the PeekaPak stories. I know this because we laughed about the faces, and what they did that was funny or "stupid." We both had fun reading and talking about it! If I were her, I think I would enjoy reading a book with an older kid, and chatting, and having fun in general. It was super fun!!!
1. The KinderPals program is something that older students or people use to help teach smaller students about essential virtues. Using the website www.peekapak.com helps a lot with teaching our buddies! If our they already know the virtue, we give them more examples of how to use it in their lives, and why it's important to use and notice! If they don't know the virtue we're teaching that time, we do our best to teach it to them in the simplest way possible.
2. It helps them learn about what the right thing to do is. For example, today we are teaching our KinderPals about honesty, and we'll try to teach our KinderPals that lying is almost always bad. It's 'almost' because sometimes you lie for the safety of someone, like if there is a storm and the kindergartener wants to go out to explore, you could say, "The reason you can't go outside is that it's bedtime." They might say, "but it's not bedtime yet!" and another lie for their safety would be "It is, it's 7:30," when it's only 7:00. If you hadn't lied to them, they might have gone out and gotten hurt, lost, or worse!
3. The KinderPals program gives me the experience of teaching a younger student, and having fun with them. I got the fun and happiness of learning and playing with someone who was still learning. I'm glad I got to know what it feels like to teach, and I'm glad I know my buddy Kate! She laughed and learned with me, and I hope she had as much fun with me as I did with her.
5. I think that there should be more time to play with and get to know our KinderPal, so that when we learn the lesson, we are more comfortable with each other, and it doesn't seem like the fourth or fifth grader is all business and learning all the time quite as much. If we got to know each other more, it would be easier to teach the kindergarteners because we would know each other better and be more comfortable talking to each other.