Reflection Questions + Answers Part 1
1. how does cup 1 relate to the stomach?
2. what did cup 1 do differently than cup 2
1. Cup 1 related to the stomach because it leaked through. First the jello went into the cup and it sat there for 45 minutes to have the science experiment to work just like our stomach digesting food. The jello that leaked through represented it going through the pyloric sphincter A.K.A. the super soaker in your body. This soaks the food you digested which represents the wet coffee filter. It then goes through the intestines which is what the jello did. It broke through the coffee filter and to the bottom of the cup where it goes through the appendix and gets pooped out. So, the after 45 minutes, the coffee filter pooped out the jello to the bottom of the cup.
2. Cup 1 had a very wet coffee filter and the jello in Cup 1 leaked through the coffee filter. Overall both of these cups and the jello in them acted in very different ways almost like complete opposites.
- looks like a liquid
- did not change that much
- jello is dry
- leaked through coffee filter
- looks like a heart burn
- the jello that leaked through did not look like jello, it looks like red water
- the jello that did not leak through the coffee filter looked like mud
Reflection Questions + Answers Part 2
1. How are the two cups different and why?
2. What process in the human body is demonstrated by the liquid in the bottom of the cup?
3. What process in the human body is demonstrated by the wet coffee filter?
4. How does this lab help us understand digestion?
1. Cup 1 was like a polar opposite to cup 2. Cup one had a wet coffee filter and the jello leaked through while cup two had a dry coffee filter and nothing leaked through. They were different because cup 1 had meat tenderizer in it and that broke down the jello to create that hole in the bottom of the coffee filter.
2. The meat tenderizer broke down the jello which is what happens in the human body. Digestive juices in the stomach break down the bolus that comes down from the esophagus.
3. When the digested food goes through the digestive system, it has to go through the the water gun in the digestive system " sorry forgot of the name " which gets the swallowed food wet to easily pass through the digestive system. That explains the wet coffee filter.
4. This lab helps us understand digestion better because all of the things that happened in bloodstream 1, have to do with the digestive system. Also the time of the lab was similar to the digestive system, too. The digestive process takes time it can't just plop down right to your stomach, there are many steps in the digestive system