Sign in to http://sd25.sciencecompanionprime.com
with your d25 sign-on and your 151 _ _ _ _ password.
After you sign in, please follow these directions to do today's first activity:
Remember to follow the directions, complete the activities & questions online, take screen shots, and create your blog entry.
You will need to read the pages in your SRB.
Purpose: Develop and test different strategies that use only one sense at a time---sight, hearing, or touch---to catch a dropped ruler.
Materials: One ruler
- Focus on only one sense at a time.
- Write down your strategies for catching the ruler and then test it on both yourself and your partner.
- Have one partner drop the ruler while the other partner catches it using any strategy you decided to try. The only rule is that the "catching" partner can't touch the ruler until it is dropped.
- Change your strategy if you are having problems with your first idea. Make sure you describe the changes in the strategies areas below.
Answer these questions in your blog entry:
- Explain how you and your partner used only the sense of sight to catch the ruler.
- Explain how you and your partner used only the sense of hearing to catch the ruler.
- Explain how you and your partner used only the sense of touch to catch the ruler.
- Was it more difficult to catch the ruler using one of the senses as compared to the other? Explain.
- How could you use only the sense of smell to catch the ruler?
- How could you use only the sense of taste to catch the ruler?
- Explain how your senses, nerves, brain, and muscles in your fingers helped you catch the ruler for one of the senses explored. Use the Directing Your Muscles—The Nervous System chapter in your student reference book to help you.