Sign in to Science Companion Prime!
Short lecture using this poster.
Then, read the SRB Chapter.
Purpose: To experience what it feels like when air coming into the lungs is limited. This should give you a sense of what it might be like to live with a respiratory disorder, such as asthma or bronchitis.
- One wide straw
- One thin straw
Create a blog entry entitled, "Breathing Through Straws."
Take a picture (or several) and place them at the top of the blog entry. (I'd use PhotoBooth.)
Sign in to http://sd25.sciencecompanionprime.com/.
Go to: http://sd25.sciencecompanionprime.com/tutti/content/activity/launchViewer.svc?activityId=7366CF1A08B9495AAF263BDA79698E80
Fill in the boxes as you complete them. Remember follow-up sentences! Take a screen shot of the wide straw observations and a screen shot of the thin straw observation and put them into the blog entry.
- What was the purpose of breathing through the straws?
- While breathing through the wide straw, were some of the activities more difficult to do than others? If so, which ones?
- How does your breathing change as you become more active? Why do these changes happen?
- Why do you think that breathing through the wide straw caused the effects that you described?
- Did breathing through the thin straw affect you differently than breathing through the wide straw? If so, explain why you think this occurred.
- Why do you think you were asked to breathe through the thin straw for 20 seconds instead of 1 minute?
- Why do you think you were not asked to walk or run while breathing through the thin straw?
- How would your daily life be affected if you could only breathe in small amounts of air with each breath?