- In 2012, the worlds population was 7.05 billion people.
- China and India have over a billion people.
- 60% is Asia, 15% is Africa, 11% is Europe, 8% is the Americas, 5% is Canada and United states, 1% is Oceania.
- In the world there are over 6,000 languages.
- There are 8 common languages.
- 9% are kids under 5, 10% are kids between 5 and 9, 18% are between 10 and 19, 17% are between 20 and 29, 15% are between 30 and 39, 12% are between 40 and 49, 9% are between 50 and 59, 6% are between 60 and 69, 3% is between 70 and 79, and 1% is over 79.
- Global population is increasing even though some countries are getting smaller.
- Our life expectancy is growing.
- The U.S. wastes lots of resources.
- The number of children are shrinking and the number of elderly is growing.
- Religions are : 33% Christians, 22% Muslims, 15% are non religions, 14% Hindu, 9% are folk religions, 5% are Buddhist, and 2% belong to other global religions.
- 31% sheep and goats, 23% cows bulls and ox, 15% pigs, 3% camels, 2% horses, 700 chickens. Wheat, beans, veggies, rice, but the food isn't divided equally. 30% of people is hungry and don't have a reliable food source. Nobody should go hungry!
- 17% are very undernourished!
- 47% do not have food security. 53% are food secure and are not worried about going hungry.
- Some people don't have clean air and water. The air might be polluted, and water might be limited.
- 87% have assess to water, 13% do not! They have to go collect it! The females usually do this job.
- 38% of people are most likely to get sick from touching things!
- 68% breathe clean air, and 32% breathe polluted air!
- Some kids don't have
- 36% go to school but only 30 go to school. 36% could go to school but stay home and help their families. The other 3% are like slaves and try to make money for their families. The laborers work on fields, in mines, they sell things on the street, and are even solders!
- More males are taught to read than females! Schools can cost money even though some can't afford it.
- 63% of adults could work but only 53 of them do.
- If all the money was divided, everybody would be able to live a good life, but it's not.
- The richest people have 85% of the worlds wealth.
- 50% radios, 45% televisions, 103 telephones, 28% computers.
- The poorest people live on less than 2 dollars a day. Half the people in the world only make six dollars a day.
- Necessities that people need mostly cost 5,000 dollars a year but people make less.
- 76% people have electricity, 24% do not.
- Most people who have electricity use it to light up their house at night.
- Most energy comes from fossil fuels (Coal, Gas, Oil)
- Wind and Water only is used 10% for energy.
- In 1850 life expedience is 38.
- Malaria is found in 41% of area. It is a virus from mosquitoes.
- 80% get vaccinations for diseases.
- 1,000 BCE, 1% people, 500 BCE 2% people, 1 CE 3% people, 1000, 5% people, and so on.
- .15 people per year
- 2150 250% people.
1. Explain what surprised you about the statistics of the world?
2. What upset you? What do you wish was different?
3. What made you want to do something to improve a situation?
4. Can you do anything to help? If so, what?
The thing that surprised me the most was that some people live on less than two dollars a day! It is so hard to think that I have so much, and some have so little! The thing that most upset me was that some people don't have clean air or water! They drink dirty water that could possibly kill them! I wish that more people who had extra money would donate or try to help the less fortunate! I think that I will try to help some people in poorer countries have a better life because right now, they don't! Some people don't even have the money to get vaccinations! I want to help those people have better healthcare. If I could do anything to help, I would donate my time to try and make the less fortunate people's lives better!